The James L. McKeown Boys & Girls Club of Woburn is paying close attention to concerns and developments around Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. As always, our top priority is to keep our members, families and staff safe. We are staying in close contact with local agencies, including Woburn Public Schools and the Board of Health, as well as monitoring national and state guidelines. As this global pandemic and information surrounding it unfolds, you can find any updates to our operations here on this page.
June 8, 2020 Update
After careful consideration and full review of Massachusetts’ new Minimum Requirements for Health and Safety for Child and Youth Serving Programs which was released on June 1, 2020, James L. McKeown Boys & Girls Club of Woburn has decided not to open our traditional summer camp program in 2020.
The safety of our youth, their families and our staff were at the center of this decision, as it is our priority in everything we do at the Club. Health and safety will continue to be our priority as we move forward through this “new normal.”
We understand this is incredibly difficult for our families who have come to rely on our programs for childcare and enrichment. We know that kids need socialization and the support that our camp offers, but it has become obvious that the new guidelines would not allow us to provide the experience that our community has come to expect.
For those of you who have paid deposits for summer camp, you will receive an e-mail today laying out refund, rollover, or gifting options.
We are carefully looking at ways we might be able to welcome very small groups of children and teenagers into the Club soon, but the capacity and hours will be extremely limited.
All of us at the Club cannot wait until we can all be together again, and we wish you well during these difficult times. Thank you for your understanding.
Julie Gage, Executive Director
What The Club Is Doing
The Club has expanded it already stringent sanitation and disinfectant procedures. Staff support the following:
– High touch areas, including door handles, phones, keyboards, equipment, are sanitized daily.
– Staff is encouraging members to wash their hands and handing washing supplies are easily available.
– Our pool is checked multiple times a day to monitor chlorine and other chemical levels to ensure they are in the acceptable range according to the Board of Health. Our swimming pool also uses UV sanitation. Members are reminded to not share towels and to shower immediately before and after swimming.
– We are assessing our planned large group activities and will update in the need of postponing or cancellations.
What You Can Do
To support our efforts at the Club, we ask that our members and families be conscious of recommended guidelines:
– Members who are sick should stay home to avoid spreading illness to others. If your child did not attend school, they cannot attend Club programming.
– Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if soap & water are not available.
– Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
– Avoid physical greetings like handshakes, hugs and kisses.
– Cough and sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard immediately. If no tissue is available, use your elbow!
The McKeown Boys & Girls Club takes our responsibility to care for our members and community seriously and will continue to focus on the health and security of our members. As the situation evolves, we will continue to adapt our procedures as appropriate and continue to update our community.