The James L. McKeown Boys & Girls Club of Woburn is paying close attention to concerns and developments around Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. As always, our top priority is to keep our members, families and staff safe. We are staying in close contact with local agencies, including Woburn Public Schools and the Board of Health, as well as monitoring national and state guidelines. As this global pandemic and information surrounding it unfolds, you can find any updates to our operations here on this page.
March 26, 2020 Update
While Woburn Public Schools are closed, all James L. McKeown Boys & Girls Club programs and activities are also closed or canceled. This includes LEAP Childcare, our Drop-In program the Clubhouse, Project Learn, Before the Bell and After the Bell. Currently, Governor Baker has closed all schools, public and private, and EEC childcare programs until Monday, May 4, 2020.
James L. McKeown Boys & Girls Club will be closed for all business through at least Friday, April 3, 2020. The Clubhouse and our office will be closed and we will not be accepting registrations, etc. during this time. All of the Club’s adult hours and rental activities are also canceled during this time. Throughout this time, we will be working with our local officials and public health experts to determine if it will be safe to open for scheduled rentals, summer registrations or to open our office in the coming weeks.
Our staff team has created a community needs assessment for our members’ families and we would love to hear from you, especially if you have a need that we can provide assistance with.
Our staff team is also creating daily content to share with our Club members to help them get through this difficult time. Head over to our virtual Clubhouse to check out what there is to offer!
We are also closely working with our community partners on the Woburn Mutual Aid Network, which is here to help anyone within our community that needs assistance during this time. You can call or text the hotline at 339-298-8153 or e-mail email@example.com.
Thanks for your understanding. Be well. Julie Gage, Executive Director
What The Club Is Doing
The Club has expanded it already stringent sanitation and disinfectant procedures. Staff support the following:
– High touch areas, including door handles, phones, keyboards, equipment, are sanitized daily.
– Staff is encouraging members to wash their hands and handing washing supplies are easily available.
– Our pool is checked multiple times a day to monitor chlorine and other chemical levels to ensure they are in the acceptable range according to the Board of Health. Our swimming pool also uses UV sanitation. Members are reminded to not share towels and to shower immediately before and after swimming.
– We are assessing our planned large group activities and will update in the need of postponing or cancellations.
What You Can Do
To support our efforts at the Club, we ask that our members and families be conscious of recommended guidelines:
– Members who are sick should stay home to avoid spreading illness to others. If your child did not attend school, they cannot attend Club programming.
– Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer if soap & water are not available.
– Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
– Avoid physical greetings like handshakes, hugs and kisses.
– Cough and sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard immediately. If no tissue is available, use your elbow!
The McKeown Boys & Girls Club takes our responsibility to care for our members and community seriously and will continue to focus on the health and security of our members. As the situation evolves, we will continue to adapt our procedures as appropriate and continue to update our community.